Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Let your Soul Glo: So what's the fuss?




If you've ever stumbled across a television show from the 70s' or 80s' you're bound to see someone sporting a funkadelic fro'. Usually associated with Black Pride during the Civil Rights movements; the Afro has made a strong comeback in the fashion world as people of all races are letting their natural curls flourish. People are laying those harsh chemicals and heat to the waste side and letting mother nature takeover.

Yet despite the rising revolution of natural power; their's a large majority of those who feel synthetic hair, chemicals and excessive heat are a necessity for having beautiful hair while natural hair is just 'not for them'.

So what's the fuss ladies and gentleman? Why not take a trip on the Soul Train as a recap:


During my childhood, I remember my parents watching the old reruns of Soul Train with Don Cornelius and I was always in awe with the massive crowns of Afro a majority of the audience members possessed. Males, females, blacks, whites etc, all sported their curls as Funk and Soul music ripped through the airways producing a new sound as well as a fashion statement.

Heck, as a child my mother even had me sporting the do:



Then immediately I think of one of Eddie Murphy's hit movies from the 80s', 'Coming to America' and the commercial for the more tamed Afro: The Jheri Curl

Here's the classic clip from the movie:





The Jheri Curl changed the game as well as took it's toll on a variety of stars. Stars Lionel Richie, Michael Jackson and even Samuel Jackson in 'Pulp Fiction rocked the famous do.








Yet,  here it is 2014 and it has made a return to the scene with far more critics and a new twist. If our fellow brothers and sisters rocked their curls in the 70s'-80's, Why can't we?

After watching Chris Rock's highly controversial documentary, 'Good Hair', all the signs were there.

'Good Hair' speaks of the concept of having "Good Hair" in the African American community as well as brings views derived from slavery and racism to the for front as the reasons for mixed views on Black (natural) hair.

One idea I found most controversial was this: Black women are spending hundreds of dollars in salons for straighter hair so as to... wait for it...

Look more white.

Personally the idea appears to spawn a plethora of controversy I'd rather stray from yet keeps my mind buzzing with thought.

If your're interested, here's a link to the trailer of Chris Rock's 'Good Hair' (Also available on Netflix):


How I see it:

As a natural hair junkie myself, I've been exposed to a variety of criticism regarding my crown of glory (Afro). After many years of hassling with chemicals, synthetic hairs and misery; I decided during my late high school years to make the transition.

I received mixed reactions from all kinds of people even those within my own race.

"Nappy" was the most common word used to describe it.

People would  stare at me as if my hair was an emblem of negativity or carelessness. Yet within all that negativity there is positivity. I began research online and realized that their were women all over the world going through the same struggle as I.

As of yesterday a professor on campus approached me with a compliment regarding my hair of which resulted in a exchange of emails so as to give each other tips on methods and products.

In the grand scheme of things, Natural hair is here to stay. Though the ignorance of people are prominent, the Afro continues to serve as a solid staple. Clearly a hairstyle shouldn't hold racist origins or concepts yet it does.

As a natural hair gal myself, I've rose above that and decided: I'm gonna let my Soul Glo.



Here's my natural hair history from childhood up to the present:


 






































No comments:

Post a Comment

What Spring Television series are you most amped about?